Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Job TitleSenior Site Reliability Engineer
Please continue reading if you are a Sr Software Developer, Backend or Platform Engineer who loves Python programming - properly structured cloud infrastructure - solving complex technical problems – coaching other team members - building tools - and helping customers. We are looking for self-driven individuals who are enthusiastic about programming and willing to help others. We value analytical problem solving skills and an openness to new ideas.
If you are equally passionate about cloud infrastructure as we are, and you want to be a part of our Global Tech Ops Team and contribute to a very well funded scale-up company, we want to hear from you!
Join our team and work on our cloud operations platform turning the best open source technologies into frustration-free cloud services. Our philosophy is to automate everything and avoid repetitive manual work in everything we do. Our own backend systems are mostly implemented in Python with bits of Java, Go and C. We offer and operate a number of complex open source databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL and Apache Cassandra as well as other open source data technologies like Apache Kafka.
Please note that 90% of our code base is in Python so we need our team to be experienced Python programmers. To succeed in this role, you need a strong background in software development and an excellent understanding of Linux and networking.
- Python systems programming (Python scripting experience is not enough for this position)
- Improve scalability and reliability of Aiven Cloud Platform
- Ensure our alerting, monitoring, and logging systems are tuned and 100% reliable
- Depending on your interests, you can also participate in new feature development and help extend our product portfolio of open source data technologies.
- A dynamic start-up environment with a rapidly growing, international business
- Highly experienced colleagues
- Cool office in the centre of the city
- 1.5% extra employer superannuation contribution on top of guarantee rate
- Subsidized private health insurance covers for employees' families
- We support our people's growth by covering costs of professional trainings, conferences and exams
- Possibility for stock options on top of the monthly salary for permanent employees
- Generous parental leave plans
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- A minimum of 5 years of solid software development experience (preferably backend or platform engineering)
- Extensive Python programming experience (beyond Django or Flask)
- Demonstrated cloud computing experience
- Demonstrated experience working with database and messaging systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Grafana, InfluxDB, Redis or Kafka
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting root-cause software issues and resolving customer issues in a timely manner
- Excellent Linux systems administration and networking skills
- Experience in systems automation
- Good understanding of IT security
- Distributed systems knowledge
- We are looking for self-driven engineers who are enthusiastic about programming and willing to help others. We value analytical problem-solving skills and an openness to new ideas.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively with customers and colleagues
- Fast learner, able to pick up new and unfamiliar technologies quickly
- Experience contributing to open source technologies would be an added bonus
About the Company
Aiven is a cloud technology startup launched in 2016 and headquartered in Helsinki, Finland. Aiven enables businesses to build awesome, data-intensive applications through self-managing data infrastructure on public clouds by leveraging leading open source technologies. Quickly grow from prototyping to world-wide scale with a frustration-free platform that snaps into existing workflows, automates away the mundane tasks, and keeps you ahead of the innovation curve.
You will be part of a highly-skilled, tight-knit fast growing team based in our HQ in Helsinki and our offices in Sydney, Berlin and Boston, making your contribution essential to what is becoming a truly unique success story.