Senior Backend Engineer
Zyte (formerly Scrapinghub)
Job TitleSenior Backend Engineer
About the Job
The Zyte platform gives our customers access to the world’s most comprehensive web crawling stack, which powers crawls of over 8 billion pages per month.
As a Backend Developer in Platform you will take on features from defining the specification, through implementation, and into production and maintenance. We work to deliver features as quickly as possible but strive to improve them through customer feedback and monitoring usage patterns.
About the team:
The Platform team consists of frontend and backend developers working together on our customer facing application, tools and APIs to make it easier for data analysts and machine learning engineers to focus on finding insights while we handle their web data needs. We’re a team that values collaboration and helping each other. We meet consistently to discuss problems and brainstorm solutions. We maintain quality through collaborative development and code-review, and everybody’s ideas about development and architecture are welcome. We have an open forum where everyone can express themselves. We also value trust. We are trusted as developers and we take responsibility and ownership for the work we do. We have the flexibility to organise our work and the freedom to choose the tools we like most.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Work on the core platform: develop and fine-tune monolithic and micro services distributed across datacenters and continents.
- Work on new features, including specification design and implementation. You should be able to own and be responsible for the complete lifecycle of your features and code.
- Solve distributed systems problems, such as scalability, transparency, failure handling, security, multi-tenancy.
- Telecommuting is OK
- No Agencies Please
- 3+ years of experience building and maintaining high load distributed systems.
- Strong track record in Python.
- Experience building web applications and APIs using Django and Django Rest Framework.
- Expert understanding of web request and response cycles.
- Experience working on event driven systems using Asyncio.
- Good knowledge of at least one RDBMS.
- Experience working with Linux and Docker.
- Good communication skills in English.
Bonus points for:
- Experience using various parts of our stack Faust, Celery, Kafka, RabbitMQ, Memcached, HBase.
- Experience with Java and Jython.
- Familiarity with modern Python ASGI web frameworks like FastAPI, Starlette, Channels.
About the Company
At Zyte (formerly Scrapinghub), we eat data for breakfast and you can eat your breakfast anywhere and work for Zyte. Founded in 2010, we are a globally distributed team of over 190 Zytans working from over 28 countries who are on a mission to enable our customers to extract the data they need to continue to innovate and grow their businesses. We believe that all businesses deserve a smooth pathway to data
For more than a decade, Zyte has led the way in building powerful, easy-to-use tools to collect, format, and deliver web data, quickly, dependably, and at scale. And today, the data we extract helps thousands of organizations make smarter business decisions, secure competitive advantage, and drive sustainable growth. Today, over 2,000 companies and 1 million developers rely on our tools and services to get the data they need from the web.
As a new Zytan, you will:
- Become part of a self-motivated, progressive, multi-cultural team.
- Have the freedom and flexibility to work from where you do your best work.
- Attend conferences and meet with team members from across the globe.
- Work with cutting-edge open source technologies and tools.
- 35 days paid holidays
- Contact: Jessica Quinn
- E-mail contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://apply.workable.com/zyte/j/85F4BDCDB9/apply/